Porrovia by Frente Cumbiero
For years, Frente Cumbiero has served as the torchbearer of a new wave of experimental exploration in the diverse modern-day cumbia canvas. Led by Mario Galeano Toro, a Colombian native and accomplished veteran of Bogotá’s rich music scene, the group first connected with listeners outside of South America via their head-exploding 2010 debut on Names You Can Trust. “Pitchito” would become a cult favourite, a catalyst for the Brooklyn-based label, and soon after a bonafide rarity. Those beginnings of Frente Cumbiero focused on an honorary recognition of the massive musical impact that the many formations of cumbia have had over the decades within Colombia. Subgenres such as gaita, porro, vallenato, and caracolito, to name just a handful, have all played their part within the evolution of the country’s tropical music lineage. That deep-digging determination coupled with a truly unique and talented musicianship has informed Frente’s music, some of the most forward-thinking and reverential examples of the current tropical scene. It has led to some incredible opportunities and collaborations in Europe, Asia and the States, including genre-defying recordings with London’s Mad Professor and Japan’s Minyo Crusaders.
Still, Galeano Toro’s assemblies with Frente Cumbiero… more
released August 28, 2020
Produced & Written by Mario Galeano Toro.
Mixed by Daniel Michel.
Mastered by Frank Merritt at The Carvery, London.
Executive Produced by Alejandra Gómez.
Cover Art by Angelica Liv.
Under License from Salgaelsol and Biche.
Trending this week
Monthly popular picks
- Hermosa Música ▪ Folktronica ▪ Orgánica ▪ Tribu Ancestral |Mix| Rialians On Earth ▪ Cafe De Anatolia
- Camel | Black Coffee ▪ Pablo Fierro ▪ Themba ▪ Rialians On Earth ▪ HVMZA ▪ Fragile (2022 DJ Mix)
- Cafe De Anatolia – Ethno House (Mix by Billy Esteban)
- Balint Boldizsar – Chaos & Order (Okuma Remix) [Camel]
- i.am.Nãda ft. Dominique Zuniga & Hernán Suárez live at Tulum, Mexico for Cafe De Anatolia