Batuco by Son Rompe Pera
Born and raised in the deep outskirts of Mexico City, the Gama brothers are keeping alive the rich legacy of marimba music running through their family with their latest project, Son Rompe Pera. While firmly rooted in the tradition of this historic instrument, their fresh take on the folk icon challenges its limits as never before, moving it into the garage/punk world of urban misfits and firmly planting it in the 21st century.
Originally performing alongside their father at local events as kids, they now find themselves at the forefront of the contemporary international cumbia scene with their sonic explorations of the classic marimba. Their absolutely unique blend comes from a typical youthful rebellion, when as teenagers they left behind their upbringing and began to play in various punk, rockabilly and ska bands. Now they’ve gone full circle with the return of the marimba on lead, and mixing all of their influences together with an energetic take on the popular instrument, giving it a new twist never before seen in Mexican folk music.
Formed in 2017, Son Rompe Pera broke onto the potent cumbia scene of today as the marimba duo of brothers Jesús Ángel and Allan Gama (Kacho and Mongo), who inherited this tradition… more
released February 28, 2020
Trending this week
Monthly popular picks
- Hermosa Música ▪ Folktronica ▪ Orgánica ▪ Tribu Ancestral |Mix| Rialians On Earth ▪ Cafe De Anatolia
- Camel | Black Coffee ▪ Pablo Fierro ▪ Themba ▪ Rialians On Earth ▪ HVMZA ▪ Fragile (2022 DJ Mix)
- Cafe De Anatolia – Ethno House (Mix by Billy Esteban)
- Balint Boldizsar – Chaos & Order (Okuma Remix) [Camel]
- i.am.Nãda ft. Dominique Zuniga & Hernán Suárez live at Tulum, Mexico for Cafe De Anatolia